How to Apply
How to Apply
1. Check that you are eligible
- To apply for our School Direct programme, you must hold:
- A university degree, classification 2:1 or above. 2:2 classification will be considered on an individual basis.
- GCSE A*-C or equivalent in English, mathematics and science.
- All candidates must pass the professional skills tests in literacy and numeracy before starting the course. To book these tests and access practical materials click here.
- All candidates must pass an enhanced DBS check, confirming they are suitable to work with children. Candidates will need to get a DBS done with the school as one of the pre-employment checks before starting.
- All candidates must pass a health check, confirming they are suitable to work as a teacher.
2. Qualities and experience we are looking for
All candidates must have a minimum of three years of work experience in any industry before embarking on our School Direct training. However, we will be looking for some experience of working with children, ideally in a UK primary school. We are looking for candidates who are ready to inspire children in new creative ways, and who are committed to enabling every child to make progress.
3. UCAS Application
All applications must be submitted through UCAS. Our UCAS training provider code is 1DS and the course code is 28CN.
If your application is successful you will be invited to an interview day at one of our partner schools. You will be interviewing with a small group of 5 or 10 candidates.
During the day you will be observed working with a group of children and in a group discussion amongst candidates. You will be asked to complete a series of tasks including, phonics, mathematics and writing. You will be interviewed individually by a minimum of two senior leaders from partner schools.
5. School Visit
If you have been successful at interview, we will contact you to arrange a school visit to your potential home school. We will liaise with both you and potential home school to ensure the right fit.
6. UCAS Offer
If your school visit is successful, we will make a verbal offer and shortly afterwards, a conditional offer on UCAS.
7. You are officially a School Direct trainee!
You are now a trainee with the John Donne School Direct Partnership. You will receive your contract from your home school.