The alliance has a number of experienced Lead Practitioners for Lesson Study, who can support schools interested in implementing the approach:
- Rory Dearlove, John Donne School
- Jemima Rhys-Evans, Charles Dickens School
- Laura Watkins, Henry Cavendish School
Find out more about these Lead Practitioners by contacting us at email@example.com.
This support can be through a professional development programme for teachers, or through a coaching model for individual schools.
Lesson study: professional development programme
This three day programme introduces participants to:
- The principles and practice of Japanese lesson study
- Potential conflicts with professional development structures and attitudes in the UK
- How to ensure your lesson study project has the maximum impact on teacher learning and student outcomes
Participants receive a copy of a Lesson Study Handbook to support and guide them through each stage of the process.
If you are interested in running a lesson study professional development programme in your own school or alliance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lesson study: in-school coaching
A Lead Practitioner works alongside a small group of teachers and leaders (ideally between three and six) in your own school to introduce them to lesson study, by guiding them to take part in the process themselves. The Lead Practitioner will support teachers
- Identify a research theme and write a research question
- Locate and engage with research literature in relation to their chosen theme
- Plan an effective research lesson which will explore their research question
- Carry out and reflect on the outcomes of this research lesson
- Plan and lead subsequent cycles of lesson study
- Develop a strategy to grow and embed lesson study with a wider group of teachers
The costs of this package of support are £1050. Alternatively, member schools may consider attributing their SLE time allowance towards such a package of support, in order to reduce costs.
If you are interested in lesson study coaching for your school, please contact us at email@example.com